🖤 Our Belief
Airblack is on a mission to help people convert their passion to a livelihood. We are a learning platform where people learn how to become successful as creators or microentrepreneurs.
With the evolution of business tools and social media, creation has been democratized on the internet. We are already seeing the rise of creators who are larger than established brands & businesses.
Today, it is possible to start a salon, a nutrition clinic, a content studio, or a restaurant right from your home - all you need is passion, skills, and the right knowledge. We believe that the next decade will be about internet-first creators and entrepreneurs.
Airblack is fueling this economy by empowering people to learn a practical skill in a fraction of the time and cost of traditional education and convert their passion into a sustainable profession.
"We envision a world where doing more of what you love is not a privilege."
⚛️ Our Product Vision
Airblack is building courses that ACTUALLY work - targeted at prospective entrepreneurs and creators. Our in-house technology shapes the best of live and asynchronous methods of teaching to deliver delightful learning experiences for our students, in cohorts.
- We believe learning by doing is the best way to learn anything: All our courses are designed like workshops that are delivered through a mix of live interactive sessions and take-home assignments. Learners learn through Live "do-it-together" (DIT) courses and get feedback in real-time on their progress.
- We believe learning is best delivered by experts who have been there, done that: Hence, all our experts are handpicked through a rigorous selection process. From seasoned artists to child prodigies, we have them all!
- We believe learning should be fun: Traditionally, courses have been boring but they don't have to be. At Airblack, courses are like concerts that our students look forward to attending every week - full of energy, with like-minded people, and lastly, LIVE!
- We believe learning is better when you have peers to share experiences with: We have reimagined how you learn with peers. From live chats to networking sessions to breakout creative open houses, learners at Airblack learn in cohorts and make lifelong friends!
Check a preview of our app in action here
💄 Airblack Beauty Club: helping people turn into Makeup entrepreneurs!
In June 2020, we launched our first club - Airblack Beauty Club with a flagship makeup artist certification program. In a short period of time, we have become the largest online makeup and beauty learning platform in India.
Beauty and makeup skills are not just hobbies, they are an aspirational source of livelihood for a large number of people
- Conservatively, more than 30M women on India Internet are looking to either upgrade their beauty skills as a hobby, to become beauty professionals, or to become beauty creators
- The Instagram and YouTube revolution has only made becoming a Makeup Artist or having great beauty skills more aspirational. Looking good is a part of social currency.
- The beauty sector in India employs more people than the IT sector and is growing fast - yet, quality beauty education remains inaccessible and unaffordable for a large part of casual and serious learners
- Makeup tutorials in India remain one of the highest watched tutorials on Youtube and Instagram. In fact, Makeup Artistry is the 'OG' freelancing in India - a passion and a profession for millions of women
Currently, we offer long-duration courses starting at ₹10,000, with a timeline ranging from 30 days to 120 days. The short-duration courses can range from 1 day to 5 days with fees as low as ₹150.
Airblack Beauty Club's programs are targeted towards millions of women who have a passion for makeup and beauty and are looking to start a salon, launch their freelance service or just want to casually upgrade their makeup skills.
Since its launch, over 25,000 learners have attended these programs across more than 500 cities, making Airblack one of the largest beauty skilling brands in the country. While regular courses stay at a completion rate of 5-7%, our courses have had an 80%+ course completion rate with an average user rating of 4.9/5.
Here is what Nikita, one of our first cohort students who was an existing beautician and upskilled herself to be an MUA sharing her experience:
🔥 What's next?
The future of work for Millennials and Gen-Z will look different
- Their role models are vastly different from that of the generation before them - Instagram and Youtube have played a pivotal role in making people aware that there are hundreds of ways to be successful and happy
- They believe in having multiple avenues of alternate income and hence, investing in multiple skills
- They have high aspiration - social status and identity matters a lot to them.
These people spend a lot on traditional education - only to realize that the promise of a job was nothing but a mirage; roughly 15M people enter the workforce every year, but there are less than a million jobs in the white-collar sector.
India is already seeing a massive rise in digitally native entrepreneurs and creators; full-time YouTubers, digital coaches, online nutritionists, makeup artists, and even chefs. In fact, with over 20M+ freelancers, India is the world's 2nd largest freelancing population in the world.
We foresee 100 M+ people becoming digital creators and freelancers in India in the next five years.
While many tools and social media platforms have helped people launch their businesses, there is a significantly large number of people who want to know 'how' to go about launching their passion.
We are excited about helping millions of prospective entrepreneurs and creators learn the skills they need to thrive in a digital-first economy.
Read more on our view on the future of work here
👩💻 People @ Airblack
Great missions require great people - and we are fortunate to have some of the smartest and nicest people support us in our journey. Our dream team comprises ex-entrepreneurs, VCs, and operators from places such as Goldman Sachs, WhiteHatJr, Sprinklr, Grofers, Oyo, Bain & Co., BCG, WeWork, ITC, Urban Company, top IITs, IIMs, and universities such as DU and NIFT. Check out the full team here.
Over 75% of our 100-member team comprises women, with 50% in leadership roles, and our average team age is 26 years.
We are actively hiring across engineering, design and operations.
🌟 Our Investors
Airblack is backed by Info Edge Ventures and Elevation Capital - two of India's marquee funds - along with a clutch of believers, on our path to empower millions of creators and micro-entrepreneurs.
From pioneers of the global creator economy to stalwarts of the tech and startup ecosystem in India, we have some superstar partners accompanying us on our mission.
Read more about our vision and evolution in this piece by Entrepreneur India: This Startup Is Making Entrepreneurs Wing-it With Its Ever-growing Beauty Community
Check out our open roles below. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and are open to people from any part of the country to join us.
Product & Design
Note: We are hiring across multiple roles in product, engineering, and design. If you do not find a suitable role listed here but are keen on exploring either way, just ping on firstname.lastname@example.org
Made in 🇮🇳 for the world