About Airblack: building the future of work through skill-based education
Airblack is on a mission to help people convert their passion to a livelihood.
Airblack is an online learning platform where people learn how to become successful creators or microentrepreneurs. We are empowering people to learn a practical skill in a fraction of the time and cost of traditional education and convert their passion into a sustainable profession.
In June 2020, we launched our first club - Airblack Beauty Club - with a flagship makeup artist certification program. We are currently India's largest online makeup and beauty learning platform with over 25,000 students and 130k+ Instagram followers making our thriving community. We have been rated 4.85 out of 5 by our past learners.
Airblack is a funded rocket ship backed by marquee investors such as Elevation Capital (Investors in Paytm, Swiggy, Unacademy) and InfoEdge Ventures (Investors in Zomato).
Our dream team comprises ex-entrepreneurs, venture capital investors, and operators from places such as Goldman Sachs, Sprinklr, Grofers, BCG, Bain & Co, WeWork, ITC, Urban Company, top IITs, IIMs, and universities such as DU and NIFT.
More on us here
Who are we looking for?
As Airblack enters its next phase of growth in building a one-stop learning platform for entrepreneurs and creators, we're looking for a Director of Engineering to lead and build a top-notch team of engineers to own, drive and deliver critical parts of our product.
You would be working with the founding team on Product strategy, managing the engineering lifecycle with a multi-faceted engineering team, and collaborating closely with other business functions.
This will be a senior role within the company. If you're excited by the prospect of driving an education- and community-oriented product vision and leading a supercharged team of engineers, we would love to meet you!
What would you be doing?
- Lead engineering teams composed of backend, frontend, iOS, Android developers and Quality Assurance.
- Drive the product and development roadmap to deliver technology output on planned timelines while maintaining a high bar for quality.
- Collaborate with the Product, Strategy, Design and other business functions to manage scope and deliverables for the technical side of the product roadmap.
- Communicate effectively at different levels to set clear expectations, deliver feedback, and analyse future strategy.
- Define best practices like PRD reviews, design reviews, code reviews, deployment engines, performance benchmarking etc. for evolving a cross-functional team in a growth stage organization.
- Set up playbooks for the engineering team and champion their adoption. You will architect and design technically robust, flexible and scalable solutions for the team.
- Proactively identify and clear roadblocks for the team and help developers with prioritization, problem-solving challenges, and achieving milestones.
- Identify areas of strategic technical debt and define strategic steps and timelines for eliminating them.
- Identify organizational gaps and drive engineering talent acquisition efforts to keep up with Airblack's growth pace.
- Guide and mentor our growing and dynamic team of software engineers.
What makes you a suitable candidate?
- 8-10 years of extensive hands-on engineering experience and 4+ years of experience in a engineering management role.
- B Tech / BE / M Tech / ME or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering or similar relevant fields from a Tier 1 college.
- Experience leading cross-functional Product and Engineering talent at a product-led early-stage startup is a huge plus.
- Deep understanding of architecture in a highly scalable and available set-up, best coding practices and deployment practices.
- Experience in setting up infra systems to efficiently optimise, scale and enhance applications
- Ability to debug systems, processes, and organizational setup and execute technical retrospections.
- Experience with writing and maintaining unit-tests, functional tests, and CI/CD pipelines.
- Strong ability to "altitude shift" - zoom out for high-level strategic thinking, then zoom back in to ruthlessly prioritize and execute.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills; first-principal thinking is your strength
- Customer-focused mindset.
- Experience with acquiring, mentoring and ramping up engineering (or non-engineering) talent.
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills to drive thought process within the organisation.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary + high ESOP ownership
- Medical Insurance
- Subscriptions to support your physical as well as mental health
The above are just a few examples of the benefits that we offer. Join us to find out more☀️
How to apply?
If you are interested in applying, request you to share your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org, adding the subject line as <"Director - Engineering"> <Your name> < Years of relevant experience> <Reference name, if any>
- Remote, for the time being
- Gurgaon, eventually