About Airblack: building the future of work through skill-based education
Airblack is on a mission to help people convert their passion to a livelihood.
We believe that the next decade will be about internet-first creators and entrepreneurs. Airblack aims to empower millions of such creators with high-quality courses and help them convert their passion into a sustainable profession.
Currently, Airblack's Beauty Club is India's largest online platform for beauty skills.
Airblack is a Series A funded rocket ship backed by marquee investors such as Elevation Capital (Investors in Paytm, Swiggy, Unacademy). Our dream team comprises ex-entrepreneurs, venture capital investors, and operators from places such as Goldman Sachs, Sprinklr, Grofers, BCG, Bain & Co, WeWork, ITC, Urban Company, top IITs, IIMs, and universities such as DU and NIFT.
Who are we looking for?
As Airblack enters its next phase of growth in building a one-stop learning platform for entrepreneurs and creators, we're looking for a Director of Engineering to lead and build a top-notch team of engineers to own, drive and deliver critical parts of our product.
You would be working with the founding team on Product strategy, managing the engineering lifecycle with a multi-faceted engineering team, and collaborating closely with other business functions.
This will be a senior role within the company. If you're excited by the prospect of driving an education- and community-oriented product vision and leading a supercharged team of engineers, we would love to meet you!
What would you be doing?
- Lead engineering teams composed of backend, frontend, iOS, Android developers and Quality Assurance.
- Drive the product and development roadmap to deliver technology output on planned timelines while maintaining a high bar for quality.
- Collaborate with the Product, Strategy, Design and other business functions to manage scope and deliverables for the technical side of the product roadmap.
- Communicate effectively at different levels to set clear expectations, deliver feedback, and analyse future strategy.
- Define best practices like PRD reviews, design reviews, code reviews, deployment engines, performance benchmarking etc. for evolving a cross-functional team in a growth stage organization.
- Set up playbooks for the engineering team and champion their adoption. You will architect and design technically robust, flexible and scalable solutions for the team.
- Proactively identify and clear roadblocks for the team and help developers with prioritization, problem-solving challenges, and achieving milestones.
- Identify areas of strategic technical debt and define strategic steps and timelines for eliminating them.
- Identify organizational gaps and drive engineering talent acquisition efforts to keep up with Airblack's growth pace.
- Guide and mentor our growing and dynamic team of software engineers.
What makes you a suitable candidate?
- 8-10 years of extensive hands-on engineering experience and 4+ years of experience in a engineering management role.
- B Tech / BE / M Tech / ME or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering or similar relevant fields from a Tier 1 college.
- Experience leading cross-functional Product and Engineering talent at a product-led early-stage startup is a huge plus.
- Deep understanding of architecture in a highly scalable and available set-up, best coding practices and deployment practices.
- Experience in setting up infra systems to efficiently optimise, scale and enhance applications
- Ability to debug systems, processes, and organizational setup and execute technical retrospections.
- Experience with writing and maintaining unit-tests, functional tests, and CI/CD pipelines.
- Strong ability to "altitude shift" - zoom out for high-level strategic thinking, then zoom back in to ruthlessly prioritize and execute.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills; first-principal thinking is your strength
- Customer-focused mindset.
- Experience with acquiring, mentoring and ramping up engineering (or non-engineering) talent.
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills to drive thought process within the organisation.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary + high ESOP ownership
- Medical Insurance
- Subscriptions to support your physical as well as mental health
The above are just a few examples of the benefits that we offer. Join us to find out more☀️
How to apply?
If you are interested in applying, request you to share your resume at email@example.com, adding the subject line as <"Director - Engineering"> <Your name> < Years of relevant experience> <Reference name, if any>
- Remote, for the time being
- Gurgaon, eventually